Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Govt says benefit numbers rise slightly

Interesting that the Minister's  press release about June benefit numbers is titled, "Benefit numbers rise slightly in June."

The June numbers are being compared to May.

I would have compared them by quarter - June to March. That's how the Ministry releases them to the public.

So I did.

Over the past six years, if the March and June quarters are compared there is a pattern. I've marked the ones that featured a rise.

2006 
2007
2008 ^
2009 ^
2010 ^
2011
2012

So the positive pattern continues.

But 320,041 working-age people on a benefit is still very high at around one in eight dependent.

That's what the opposition should be highlighting - not a month to month rise.  Let's see what Jacinda says. As usual she's slow to respond but I don't think she'll be able to resist a dig, given the title of the release.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm convinced that the government is not at all serious about getting people off benefits (and I say that as a long-time National voter).

The recent so-called "reforms" will make not the slightest bit of difference.

Every time that Labour introduces yet another welfare bludge (WFF being the latest one), National just leave it there.

I think I'll vote for Act at the next election. At least they have the balls to put forward no-holds-barred, hairy-chested policies, and at least they have nothing to lose.

John Key must be our least-courageous PM since the days of Bill Rowling.