Friday, December 02, 2011

Are you missing John yet?

Confession: I actually warmed to John Key during the campaign because he dropped the smile-and-wave persona and actually looked like Phil Goff was getting right up his nose. I heard commentators describing him as "looking like a coldfish" and "refusing to engage" and "hard-faced". To me he looked unsmiling and deliberately detached from the silly gamesmanship of Labour blaming National for the inevitable detrimental effect on New Zealand of the worldwide recession. He showed calm and concentrated discipline in the process. I started to empathise with him. This is the John Key I'd like to see and hear more from. But I'm an oddity.

So I suppose I am destined to miss the new John until his re-appearance in 2014.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Actually I enjoyed the John 2.

DianeT said...

Well that makes 3 of us.

Anonymous said...

Lindsay, I wholeheartedly agree with you. I liked the toughness I saw. He seemed more like a real person.

Manolo said...

I bet Smile and wave will return to stupefy the masses until the 2014 election nears.

Anonymous said...

I wish - for just one week - Key would do what he must know is right, rather than what he knows would get him reelected.

We've seen the smiling for the last three years.
Now NZ needs to see the assassin, if only for a week!

- stop all the benefits
- sell the state liabilities
- close down the "civil service"