Wednesday, October 05, 2011

NCEA and other stuff

Apparently secondary school teachers are to get two more 'teacher only' days next year to cope with the NCEA workload. They already get quite a few. Or that's how it seems when you have a child in the system.

How good is a regime that requires more and more administration and delivers less teaching and learning? And are there any fans of NCEA out there?



A Waikato Times editorial suggests that 'beneficiary bashing' is the next most popular sport to rugby. It recommends venues to play and tools to use. Dripping with sarcasm of course. Charming.

As a prime critic of the welfare system it jars to be characterised as ignorant and indifferent but not enough to make me stop.



Yesterday I blogged about the outgoing MSD boss affirming that benefits are not best for children. Today a WINZ regional commissioner is saying, "We all know from the research that is being done that people are better off when they are not on benefits."

This statement seems commonsense and obvious but it is a substantial shift for a government department to publicly get in behind the ethos of the presiding government.

3 comments:

Kiwiwit said...

I wouldn't worry about the views of the Fairfax group newspapers. The editors and journalists of those rags are increasingly revealing the Gramsci-ist brainwashing of our journalism schools.

Maungakiekie said...

I went to two private schools, at which there was no such thing as 'teacher-only days'.

When I first heard the term - some time in my teens - I thought it was a joke. When I realised it wasn't, I concluded it was merely a lame excuse for a day off!

Bruce S said...

A day off? Are you sure; or is it one of those days Alastair Thompson affectionately referred to as women having monthly "sick problems"? Oops; I overlooked the fact that there are still a couple of "male" teachers left. Okay Lindsay, I concede you nailed it; just more administrivia.