Sunday, August 21, 2011

Billy T

Billy T James didn't know me from a bar of soap. And this photo is only the result of an uncharacteristic action on my part. Asking someone who did know him slightly to take a photo of us together, with his permission. The occasion was backstage at a Dolly Parton and Kenny Rogers concert in 1987, Auckland. I was a sales rep for RCA at the time and as such, met lots of famous people. Well, a few. But I never fawned on them or tried to get memento type shots. I had too much respect for their privacy and my dignity. But Billy was an exception. I selfishly wanted my own little piece.

But lots of people wanted a bigger piece.

I was going to write a review of Billy T: Te Movie after seeing it today. But it feels too close. The times, the gorgeousness of his humour, the loss. I will recommend it but can't guarantee you will come away feeling uplifted. I didn't. I just missed him all over again.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lovely photo, great man, thanks Lindsay.

Maungakiekie said...

I watched the movie about his life on TV1 last night. I'm not sure if the producers intended it to be this way, but I felt really sad afterwards - kind of like Billy was hunted and thwarted all his life.

James said...

Hob-knobbing with the stars eh Lindsay? ;-)

Anonymous said...

It might have to be the next generation to tell Billy's story?

The film has generated more questions and no-one seems to think Billies true story was told?

But then again?

Was the court jester ever really happy in the first place?

Anonymous said...

Lindsay, was he big or are you little?

Lindsay Mitchell said...

I'm small.

Anonymous said...

I dont know whats happening to me but I keep forgeting to sign my name. I'm sorry.
Dirk

Anonymous said...

I was in Wellington last Friday and had the best of intentions of comming to see you. But time and tide worked against me and i ran out of minutes which saw me stuck in a traffic jam heading north out of the city at otaki.......

Lindsay Mitchell said...

Assuming last anon is you Dirk, next time will do. But don't leave it too long. You probably can't afford to:-)