Wednesday, April 01, 2009

Good job, bro

No, you have not come to the wrong blog. I was very proud of my youngest brother yesterday when he won the top award for low-cost housing design (featured left top). He came down from Auckland for the announcement, not yet knowing whether his entry was the winner from 148. In a happy coincidence it was Mum and Dad's 53rd wedding anniversary and we all got together for lunch in Oriental Bay. Stephen came to architecture relatively late. Messed about for a few years (lived) before finding his real interest, became a mature student and hasn't looked back. The Campbell Show featured a virtual model of his design last night. I was forewarned. At lunch he said to me, oh by the way, I used some of your art on the walls. "I didn't want to get sued."

I was impressed. Good job, bro.

nb. I should add that quite obviously we do not share the same politics:-) If I had time I might be able to convince him that the govt that is his friend today is turning on the same philosophy as the one that is the bane of his life every other day in the guise of thick building officers, exorbitant permit fees, delays, and general gross local government incompetency - all of which he could write a book about.

No comments: