Wednesday, October 08, 2008

Coro St trumps candidates?

Yesterday evening saw the local Rotary-organised meet-the-candidates assembly which is traditional and held in the Muritai School hall. It usually pulls the biggest crowd of the campaign at 2-300. Last night 60 people showed up to hear 9 candidates. Theories as to why ranged from it being Coro night to people having already made their minds up. I tended towards the second. Or is it simply that meetings have had their day?

The memorable moment for me was when a member of the audience asked what each party intended to do about the continuing persecution of cannabis users? NZ First's Ron Mark leapt quickly to his feet, strode to the mike and said, "Nothing" and sat back down. Trevor Mallard followed suit, "Nothing", and finally the National Party candidate stood and said he would be the "third stooge" and agree with both. I saw red. So I walked to the edge of the stage, carefully confirmed that ACT had no policy to decriminalise but that, being at the socially liberal end of the party, I opposed prohibition. Then turning to the aforementioned candidates I lambasted their position, describing the worsening, highly destructive affects of prohibition, and their collective refusal to abandon the status quo, as negligence. To be honest I can't remember quite what I said but to my surprise the audience enthusiastically cheered. I am not sure whether it was because I was angrily dressing down the three stooges or because they agreed.

But I do believe the ground is shifting on this one. Not before time.

(The Green candidate later thanked me for what I had said and even forgave me for my remark about their billboards which she had waxed lyrical about during her speech. Responding in my address I pointed out that every party could justify having children saying Vote For Me on their billboards and if it was a choice between Sue Bradford and children, they probably would.)

4 comments:

deleted said...

And this is why you should have been number 5.

I think ACT would gain fair more votes liberalising drug laws than they ever will with the law and order stuff (they are one and the same anyway - getting cops away from pot so they can go after the real crims)

Anonymous said...

bravo

You are a gem for doing what's right.

Just my opinion said...

Nice work!

Anonymous said...

Yeah Lindsay! ;-)


ACT's social liberal side has vanished.....a shame and also counter productive......the anal conservative wing is stirring ......it needs tempering with freedom coupled with personal responsibility...