Wednesday, August 06, 2008

Guest blogger

It is becoming increasingly difficult to find time to blog but my boy has responded to two matters that had also triggered a not dissimilar response in me. So I will let him speak.

My thoughts on current events

If you were watching 3 news last night you may have seen the story of the girl who’s bebo page got hacked and deleted. So at first I thought why is this in the news it actually happens all the time, in fact it’s happened to me. So I watched more on it and the story was amazing. The girls bebo page had been hacked and instead of shrugging it off (get this) she called the POLICE. Now you may think oh the police probably couldn’t care less, well they actually did care so now a woman is facing up to seven years in jail for hacking and deleting a social networking page. The thing that astonishes me about this is how it has been thrown out of proportion. This kind of thing probably happens at least once a day I would say, yet one 16 year old girl decides no I cant just make a new page (which I’m sure is what most people do and it isn’t very hard) I have to go to the police and use up their time and resources for a insignificant crime of hacking. Now after just reading the article on 3 news site I have picked something else up, the statement “for a teenager who’s LIFE REVOLVES AROUND A COMPUTER”. Really? Does your life revolve around a computer? It’s a pretty big thing to say and if it does maybe you need to get out more! (I know I’m not a prime example but really). Also this quote straight from the teenager "I felt angry and unhappy because there was a lot of personal things on there," WHY WOULD YOU PUT PERSONEL THINGS ON A SOCIAL NETWORKING SITE, everyone knows they can be very easily accessed by the public all you need is an account and If the page has no privacy settings well… and you would think there is enough coverage on the issue of social networking sites gone bad that people would get the point but obviously some tech savvy teenagers do not learn.
Now I’m going to move onto the point about how it wastes the polices time and resources. How much time have the police spent on tracking the perpetrator down? They have to go to the ISP then find the person who hacked the page then get an arrest warrant or something like that then go through court proceedings and all that crap. Now in that time they could have caught killers, but instead some girl decides no I cant just take one hour to make a new page (adding friends and such) I have to go to the police.
To be honest I don’t really think the girl realises how insignificant the crime is, and also how common it is. Stopping one 19 year old girl from hacking will hardly make the world a better place so I ask you, what is the point.


Now to a different topic, many of you may have heard of an after school TV show called sticky TV. Now they have a section called what would you do? It’s a run-of-the-mill “I have a problem and I’m too stupid to solve it myself please help me!” show, and its very politically correct as well. They have two people that tell their problems to them via vlog and I can’t stand either of them. Yesterday the girl was going on about how she went to her schools canteen/ tuck shop whatever you want to call it and “I was shocked, there was absolutely no healthy food at all there was only junk food and the drinks were full of sugar! Sticky TV please help me”, that is the exact words, and this really made me mad.
WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU? Obviously you are too stupid to realise that food isn’t being shoved down your throat by the SS and that in fact you have choice in the matter. Why are people so blind? It isn’t the 1940s and the SS and definitely not coming to your house and shoving pies and chips and coke down your throat, “guten tag, we are here to supervise the eating of the chips”, ha-ha that’s a funny thought. But really if you are so worried about there only being junk food then maybe you should just bring your own bloody lunch. It isn’t hard to make a sandwich or are you too blind to do that as well? Or wait… you’re afraid the SS are going to take you away if you try? No. plus wouldn’t it be cheaper too make your own sandwich? The canteen would charge ridiculously high prices because healthy food is always more expensive and also if the world was the way you wanted it the shop wouldn’t be in business. There is a perfect example at Wellington high school, the cafeteria started serving healthy food and because of that the students wouldn’t buy from there anymore which resulted in it closing down. The fact is people aren’t interested in paying **** loads for healthy food because they can buy something they prefer which is also cheaper. I cant understand these people, are they too stupid too realise how business’s work? These are the kind of people that will one day govern us and make the world a terrible place because of their upbringing which told them “children, healthy food is good and pies eat your spleen”.
IMO this girl needs to wake up and realise that you can say no and you can make a sandwich and take it too school and if you don’t like junk food there is no law forcing you to eat it. Maybe in her dreams Hitler is grand chancellor of New Zealand, the SS man the tuck shops and that gives her a reason for outcry but sorry to burst your bubble… the world is not like that.


Update; The young blogger has set up his own site

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks like the state school system has failed your son, Lindsay.

(I mean that he has his OWN opinions, and very sensible ones at that).

I enjoyed the read!

Anonymous said...

Chip off the old block. Well said that lad.

Brian Smaller

Oswald Bastable said...

Very well said indeed!

If only more of our 'adult' votors had as much between the ears!

Anonymous said...

You think the post is great (and it is!), you should have heard what the young fella had to say when someone challenged Lindsay about him being in a protest. The challenger certainly got told a few what-fors by the said lad and was left with no misapprehensions.

It's great to see any young person involved in political issues and taking a stance. The clarity of thought though in this instance is outstanding.

MC