Sunday, June 08, 2008

Books

That's put me over my limit. Can I manage two whole books in one year? I can generally get through one. Last year it was Rodney Hide's highly readable biography.

But last week I purchased Bob Jones', Jones on Management which is very good. In fact I may finish it today. I read a good chunk last night whilst not watching the All Blacks.

And tomorrow I will buy Michael Bassett's latest, Working With David. This piece has further whet my appetite.

From the start, the clandestine affair between the married prime minister and his speechwriter aroused feelings of foreboding among his staff.

It was "like a crow on your shoulder all the time, because you're never quite sure when it's going to shit on you", former Lange press officer Ross Vintiner told historian Dr Michael Bassett.


Jolly good. This promises to be a book that goes deep into the ways in which relationships affect thinking. The too real overlay of human frailty on political actions that reach out across populations and time.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

The absolute tradgedy is this line:

"[Douglas] argued for the sale of almost every government asset, including roads, hospitals, schools and universities. Every social service was to be privatised. We were to have a single rate of income tax at 15c in the dollar and GST would be raised to 15% to match," he wrote in My Life.

Well guess what - that's still what needs to happen in NZ - more urgently than ever.

An electorate vote for National, and a Party Vote for ACT will make this a reality!

Anonymous said...

Make this a reality??? If the Nats were to do just *one* of those things, anon, I'd be a happy camper. The 'reality' is that they'll do *none* of those things.

Lindsay: if you only managed RH's book last year, you must be one of the ten people on the planet who didn't read HP & the Deathly Hallows!

To a Potterhead like my good self, that is truly beyond belief. :)

Anonymous said...

Anon: just to make myself clear - you're right, while all that is ACT policy, my point is that the NatWets would be guaranteed to water it down big-time.

Now, party vote for Libz and electorate to ACT & we'd be getting somewhere ...

Lindsay Mitchell said...

Sus, I don't even do the HP movies after the spider episode gave me serious creeps. There is enough scary stuff in the real world!

Anonymous said...

Ha! Aragog was formidable. He makes another appearance in HP & the Half-Blood Prince (no. 6) - and trust your Aunty Sus, you'll definitely prefer that occasion. :)

Your challenge this year, Ms Phelps, is to go back and read them. A triumph of good v evil and morality over immorality; all those good things.

I've read them about 70 times collectively. They are what I treasure most in my bookcase. And for the rest of my life I'm going to do an annual Harrython whereby I read all seven back to back.

The movies are as good as they can be, but pale in comparison with the richness of JKR's writing.

The world of HP is a creation of genius.

Anonymous said...

Hello. I am interested in the Bob Jones book, but here in UK I cannot find it on Amazon, and nothing about the book itself via Google. Do you have a link to a website where I can buy it?
thank you.