Sunday, April 13, 2008

A whiff of hypocrisy

The Herald on Sunday is being just as 'glib' and 'smug' as it accuses Parekura Horomia of being with this statement;

While it is true that among the nation's more affluent and well-parented teens, there will indeed be a few refusing the muesli box so they can fit their skinny jeans....

So the nation's poorer and less well-parented teens are not trying to fit into their skinny jeans?

According to this 2007 research more than 60 percent of girls and 29 percent of boys are trying to lose weight and in particular Pacific Island students feature. Pacific Islanders tend to predominate among the poorer families. Poor children and young people are not stupid. They react to the same societal pressures as their wealthier counterparts.

I have already commented that Horomia's comment may have been ill-advised given the context but brushing it aside because of irrelevancies like his own weight or Labour's out-of-touchness serves no useful purpose. Across the board many young people are misguidedly skipping breakfast in an effort to control their weight.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have been surprised at the reaction on feminist blogs to this Lindsay. I thought they would support Horomia, but all are laughing at 'the fat guy' - you are a voice in the wilderness. I guess he is an easy target. Or maybe I am naive as to their agenda.

Never mind the damage done to kids who are not judged as being perfectly thin.

Lindsay Mitchell said...

Ruth, It won't come as any surprise to you that I do not read feminist blogs. I was listening to parliament (unusually) when I heard the reaction to Horomia's answer and was bewildered by the reaction. I can't NOT blog when I hear someone stating facts and getting laughed at for it.