Monday, March 31, 2008

NZ Post - daylight robbers

This is a classic case of paying attention to what isn't being said.

However, thanks to recent increases in charges, and a five-year $85 million investment in new mail processing facilities, the domestic letters business remained profitable, unlike similar services overseas including Australia, Allen said.

A further rise in the standard domestic letter rate, which rose 5c to 50c last year, was unlikely for some time, he [NZ Post chief executive John Allen] said.


This is a statement from last Wednesday.

Sure enough. When I went to buy stamps for my business this morning the postage charge for a standard envelop had not gone up. Unfortunately I use more by way of A4 size envelopes so you can imagine my disbelief when I was told that instead of $1 stamps they would now require $1-50 stamps.

"Do you think I could get away with putting my prices up 50 percent?" I enquired of the somewhat apologetic assistant.

Of course I couldn't. While I am in the position of providing a monopoly service people do not have to use it.

It's an outrageous price hike which will cost certain businesses dearly.

2 comments:

Libertyscott said...

Lindsay, the market IS open - the barriers to entry are low (courier companies can all deliver mail).

You're not suggesting the government do anything about it are you?

Lindsay Mitchell said...

I didn't say it wasn't open. But NZ Post retains a monopoly position on letters and is now exploiting it. I can rail against a private company doing the same. Perhaps the more noise customers make the more likely a potential competitor is to see an opportunity. Certainly heavy users of parcel post can find alternatives if competitors offer a better price.