Tuesday, July 03, 2007

Dumbed down by the DomPost

There is a world of difference between Richard Long's columns and Michael Bassett's. Bassett would take an issue and give it historical and political context. When passionate about a topic he didn't hold back. Unless I am not paying proper attention, Richard Long merely cheerleads for National. Another column today is a typical example, "The creaking of third term-itis". It lists Labour's recent problems and re-inforces Clark's extremely unlikely chances of re-election based on past trends. It's like reading an election pamphlet. AND Long has omitted the usual declaration of interest that tags his columns.

Bassett was 'let go' because it was revealed he had a hand in Brash speeches and also shared and promoted ideas similar to those Brash might espouse. However Bassett did not write entire columns based purely on a political bias towards the National Party.

Yes, I am still angry that the DomPost deprived us of Bassett's shrewd views and replaced him with a politically-slanted scribbler.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wrote to the DomPost editor a not for publication letter expressing my frustration at the dumping of Bassett. He did not have the courtesy to reply.

Anonymous said...

Ivery seriously considered cancelling my subscription to the dompost because Michael Bassett had been dumped.

Alas my pathetic attachment to the pathetically UK biased crossword stopped me.

I should have listened to my principles.

Anonymous said...

Tim Pankhurst replied when I wrote to him complaining about Bassett's dismissal. He said Richard Long was an insider (whatever that means) and a better writer (gasp!).

Long and the insufferable Trotter are no good, in my view.