Friday, June 01, 2007

That's not all they stole

This is speculative. If you have good reason to believe I am wrong tell me why.

6 women spend ten months roaming a carpark thieving handbags and purses by duping trusting old ladies, one of whom reacts rather badly and may have died prematurely as a result. It could be these women stole what was left of her life. They certainly stole some of the quality.

But that won't be all they stole. Over ten months it is quite probable they stole around $100,000 in benefits, supplements and allowances. That's a conservative estimate given that these kind of people are often also involved in benefit fraud.

Of course the law would argue with me. It would say these benefits are their legal entitlements.

What a joke. Does anybody seriously believe that the benefit system is a safety net of last resort?

It once was. And when you try to persuade people it needs to be returned to that state, that we critically need reform, the objections come thick and fast. One being, people will turn to crime if we don't give them an income.

These bitches already had.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree.

Are you going to comment on you know what.
jh

Anonymous said...

I find that people who prey on the vulnerable - such as little old ladies - make me want to resort to violence.

My mother was conned by a shark who installed a fake $5000 Australian Dollar security system in her house back in the 90s when she was alive.

The "company" that installed it went out of business and the only way we could get her money back was to go around to his house and threaten to burn it down with him in it.

Brian Smaller

Lindsay Mitchell said...

jh, I might if I knew what 'what'

Anonymous said...

Um, I think jh is refering to the case getting the headlines in your country about the death of a woman and the possibly related disconnection of her electricity supply for non-payment of the bills.

talk about a tangled web. I will go back to NZ Herald and see what has developed.