Friday, March 09, 2007

Trotter inflames the situation

In today's DomPost column Trotter describes an ugly incident from the anti-Springbok tour protests which involves a young man using his physical and psychological power to wrest a placard from an intimidated young women. The description is heavily laced with emotive language and is analogous to rape.

"(The scene) managed to pack into a few intense seconds, a whole manifesto about the Kiwi male's contempt for; rage at; and fear of women."

So because Trotter is a man he knows this. As a woman I wouldn't. I've been a woman for three decades and hadn't noticed it. All I can say is you Kiwi men are very good at hiding your feelings.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Because I subscribe to the DomPost I usually read Trotters column to help get my moneys worth and an alternative point of view.

Sometimes he makes a valid point but mostly he is on a `lefty rant' and occasionally he loses the plot like the crap this morning.

How has he kept his column while the common sense, thought provoking Michael Basset was dumped. I suppose we subscribers and readers are culpable in that we did not protest!!!

Lindsay Mitchell said...

I wrote a letter expressing my support for Bassett. But the lefties wrote more.

Anonymous said...

Give me anyone but Trotter. I cannot tolerate his left-wing longer, so I'm putting pen to paper asking Tim Pankhurst to drop him! (of course, he'll do it...yeah right)

Anonymous said...

Sorry for the double posting: the curse of the wrong keyboard.

Give me anyone but Trotter. I cannot tolerate his left-wing rants any longer, so I'm putting pen to paper asking Tim Pankhurst to drop him! (of course, he'll do it...yeah right)

Anonymous said...

I have just emailed a not for publication letter to Pankhurst complaining about this column and requesting reinstatement of Bassett.

Probably too little to late but at least the dirty water is off my chest for a while.

Anonymous said...

It's only when editors don't get letters that the columnist's future is at risk. It's a bit like spam - reply that you don't want it and you'll just get more!

Lindsay Mitchell said...

manolo, I hear you "retired". Can you e-mail new address?

Anonymous said...

G'day Lindsay,

Done. e-mail on its way to you.

Anonymous said...

Ignore Trotter.

His brand of flat-cap old school 'social democracy' is out of date and fading fast.

EXOCET