Sunday, November 12, 2006

Dear Landlord

This is a letter Russel Norman has drafted for tenants to send to their landlords. I hope he will be particularly encouraging those in the Green's beloved council and state houses which, in my experience, are in the worst state of disrepair. I was hanging curtains in one on Friday which had two panes of glass with holes in them. The tenant told me the council had inspected them and said they were safe as the remaining glass was firmly intact. Holes that let in cold air are obviously not a concern.


Date

Name
Company
Address
City
Suburb

Dear [Landlord]

I am writing this letter because of the report by the Parliamentary Commissioner for the Environment released on the 7th of November on building insulation and energy conservation. This report details the importance of ensuring that homes are well insulated not only to conserve energy use (and thus lower energy bills), but also because homes that are well insulated are more easily kept warm and dry, thus ensuring better health for their residents.

This report is intended to encourage homeowners to invest in better insulation for their homes. However, since I rent my home, I am not in a position to make the changes necessary to improve the quality of insulation.

However, these changes are important not only for conservation of energy, but also for my wellbeing and for your ability as landlord to keep your property viable in an increasingly competitive market. Thus, I am writing this letter to ask you to contribute to a more sustainable, healthier, and more economical home by considering the advantages of improving the insulation in this property. This could include insulation in the ceiling and floor and insulation around the hot water cylinder. Solar hot water would be great too!

With the release of this report, many New Zealanders will have the opportunity to act to improve their quality of living through better home insulation. I hope that you will consider aiding this effort by improving the quality of the insulation in your property and my home.

Thank you for your time and your consideration of this matter.

Sincerely


[Name]

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The letter omits the final line. "I will be willing to pay an extra $50 a week to pay for the cost of the insulation."

Lindsay Mitchell said...

Was that the interview with NewstalkZB host Danny Watson, Brian? He told Watson he hoped he didn't have "investments".
The arrogance (and ignorance) of this admonition was shocking. I was delivering campaign leaflets so the timing is right.

Anonymous said...

Don't know about "parasites" but how come property investors get so far ahead when I struggle on a wage. Successfull investors boast of only buying at 80 to 90% of market value etc. Where does all that quick wealth come from?.