Monday, September 11, 2006

Begging letter

Dear Wellington City Council

While I was visiting your library this morning a parking attendant placed a $40 fine under my windscreen wiper. Imagine my surprise when I returned to my vehicle, having put ample money in the pay and display machine to take me through to 11 am. Of course, it does pay to actually extract the ticket from said machine and display it on the dashboard. I am afraid I missed this important step.

As with a similar recent incident when having asked the ATM for $100 dollars I either a/ confused the receipt with the cash and put the latter in a conveniently located trash can or B/ I simply walked away from the machine without removing the five twenty dollar bills.

I am also reminded of another recent episode when my husband and I arrived at Wellington airport ready to board the 7 am flight to Auckland only to find I had booked us on the 7 pm flight. This necessitated a further expenditure of $700 in order to meet an important engagement.

Either I have entered the first stages of Alzheimer's disease or I am living proof that women cannot multi-task - that is, use their brains and their hands simultaneously. Whichever is the case, as you can see it is a very expensive business.

Would you consider waiving the charge on compassionate grounds? I cannot vouch for my safety if my husband discovers I have yet again treated his hard-earned cash as if it had no more value than Zimbabwean currency.

Your Sincerely

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just so long as I don't have to go to Zimbabwe to earn the dollars. Perhaps the Zimbabweans might have minders for hire at reasonable rates.

Rick said...

Silly woman :)

Anonymous said...

Much sympathy from a woman - not yet in her dotage - who stopped halfway up (or down) the stairs, wondering where I was going and why. I think I figured it out, but who really knows?

Lindsay Mitchell said...

Linda, we should both move to one storey huses thus eliminating possibilities. You might appreciate this one;

Her minister told an eighty-year-old woman that, at her age, she should be giving some thought to what he called "the hereafter." She said to him, "I
think about it many times a day." "Oh, really?" said the minister. "That is very wise." "It's not a matter of wisdom," she replied. "It's when I
open a drawer or a cupboard, I ask myself, 'What am I here after?'"