Thursday, June 22, 2006

I don't care about people in prison....

Well, actually, I do. Believe it or not I have a strong humanitarian streak and find it very hard not to find some saving grace in most people. So let me put that in context. I don't care about people in prison as much as I care about people not in prison. So if we can protect law-abiding people from thugs by locking them up - the thugs that is - well I'm all for it. Here David Green makes the case for building more prisons. The same reasoning can be applied to the New Zealand situation.

(Thanks to The Welfare State We're In for the link)

2 comments:

Oswald Bastable said...

There is one main reason that prisons are such vile places.

They are full of foul and vile 'people'

But Dave has it right- they should get a chance or two, then in they go for the rest of their days.

Anonymous said...

More prisons if there are more real criminals and by real crime I mean crimes that violate rights: that harm the life, liberty or property of others. And the sentence ought to require work where the criminal makes restitution for his crime, pays the police for their time, pays court costs, etc. A monetary value should be set on it and if they pay it the sentence is finished. If they are lazy and uncooperative the sentence just drags out until they finish. Let them be rewarded if they do well and find out that they make things worse off if they do poorly.